Follow by Email

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

No brownies....

...were found Saturday.  Not 'cause they weren't available but because we just sopped looking.  Meghan and I went out on aloop I laid out, me on a loaner Spooky from ReGroup Coffee and Bikes, she on her Trek Silque.  A friend of ours is part-owner in the shop and in an effort to get more out on the local roads, he asked if I'd like to try their 'cross/gravel ride.

The route was simple - weave through some hills, hit some canal paths...MAYBE pop on some singletrack - and ended at a local bakery.  I was doing okay considering I was on a bike I wasn't really set-up for.  I'd measured some pieces but in a hurry, all I did was set the saddle height and didn't really look at much else.  The bike felt tight like the cockpit was too short.  I adjusted the saddle back but that was all I could do really.  The handlebars were too narrow for my shoulders but I couldn't fix that.  Still I pedaled on.

Long and short on the bike, it is a great all-around 'cross bike.  If I were in the market for a full-on 'cross bike right now, I would definitely throw a leg permanently over one of the bikes I've lusted after ever since I saw them first at 'cross races on the East Coast.  It has really quick steering even with a 120mm stem.  The cornering agility was better than my Cervelo.  It feels like they took a great cross bike geometry, lowered the bottom bracket and made it fall somewhere between QUICK 'cross bike and FAST road bike.

My only complaints (other than the 60cm having a cockpit geometry of the early 2000's 'cross bikes) were the same things everyone feels with aluminum - it's STIFF when you gas it HARD but becomes a bit muted over long hauls. If I was feeling sluggish, all I had to do was man up, mash HARD and the bike was lively.



So....the brownies.  We are pedaling down some 'hood street, stopped and fixing to cross.  I see the sign at the church north of us, "Bake Sale".  "Wonder if they have brownies?!?!"....and i turn left.  Meghan follows and we wonder if these gals are nuns with their head garb.

I roll up and I'm greeted with smiles and nods.  I ask about brownies and the lady tells me that there are no brownies but ALL these treats are handmade by these Syrian women, refugees who have only been here a few months and are trying to settle into life at their new home. 

Kinda taken back, I congratulate and welcome them to America...and their new found safety.  They begin to explain what they have - LOTS of cookies and sweetbreads with dates & nuts.  Meghan and I spend $10 (at least) picking out everything with dates....and some with nuts.  We sit in the grass and chomp down as much as we can hold. 

Verdict - any cookie with dates made by these ladies are AWESOME!  Turns out, you can find out when to attend the next bake sale at SyrianSweetsAZ.com....

Go get some cookies!



No comments:

Post a Comment